Monday 19 August 2013

Drawingtime


 


"Pretty comes at the end of the day, after a shitload of practicing (duh!) paired with an uninhibited urge to tell it all."
One of my rather taken seriously non-paid sidelines (of which there are many...gratuitous wise) is to go search for new (at least to me) illustrators who bring a certain je ne sais quoi. As a teenager my career aspiration was to become a children's book illustrator. (I did retain that wish.) Since then, and the first discovery of the internet, I've established to make a find worthwhile once every two months. More often than not, these artists are either Japanese, Chinese, or their work has an Asian twist to it, usually paired with a highly developed sense of the bizarre. Such as Matsumoto Jiro, Cassandra Jean, Tsuruta Kenji, or A Geng.
I don't prefer manga as a genre, although my affection for a rather edgy, sketchy, free flowing style feels pretty much at home in indie-manga town. But quite often said affection takes a trip to Europe, and so naturally there have been encounters with Bastien Vivès, Kurt Klamann and Boulard & Kerascoët. It's always thrilling to see how artists of the same genre depict subjects with very varied and opposite priorities. And so as I keep collecting, I keep learning (if only  theoretically, because my copying days are over since my 17th) what makes a good illustration work. Quite simply, also proven to work on numerous other occasions, humour. Because after all, amusement is the fountain of youth. Just ask the Kandakandero.


No comments:

Post a Comment


☞ Go right ahead and leave a note you lovely person! ☜